Saturday 16 January 2010

Time RXS Racer 2009 pedals – Snap, Crackle and Pop

Update 08/02/10: Finally i got my pedals back. Well, actually not quite - Time kindly replaced them with the new Iclic Racer and boy is it a nice pedal. No more faffing about trying to engage when a few seconds can make all the difference between a fast start and being left for dead. Engagement is so easy and I am now tempted to get these for my other bike when finances allow. They are not cheap but then you get what you pay for as they say. I strongly recommend them.

http://static.bikeradar.com/MTB/news/article/eurobike-times-new-pedals-shoes-and-framesets--23081

I love my Time RXS Racer pedals. I use this pedal on both my road bike and my fixed wheel and I really love the responsiveness and the fact that when moving my feet into position they slip into the pedals so easily. Having enough movement in the feet is essential and I feel both comfortable and secure locked into the pedals. The characteristic float of Time pedals is very knee friendly and makes them a good choice if you have any problems in that area.



The body of the pedal has cleaner lines because of removing the racing clip and by optimizing the centre of the cleat it makes for better engagement. The pedal has a hollow steel axle for increased stiffness and weight savings and the sensor allows you to personalize your pedaling sensation or 'feeling' within the ±5° angular float. Time RXS Racer pedals are packed with features that can only help enhance your performance. The pedals weigh approx 237 grams.

So why then have both pairs I have used on my fixed Wheel bike broken?

One pair just snapped clean in half and then the replacement pair the broke as well. I am used to these pedals and I know how to engage and disengage, with ease, so I was really surprised when the pedals broke. Once was a surprise but twice had me thinking it was something I was doing wrong. I took them down to my local bike shop and the guy said they had had others returned with similar problems. So probably a fault in the mould? I have returned the pedals now and am waiting for my replacemnents, but thinking I might upgrade to the carbon version. I couldn’t help wondering whether the stress placed upon the pedal when I use my fixed Wheel had something to do with it, but I was reassured this should not have been the problem.

I now have an old pair of time pedals that to be honest are a bit ‘nhs’ and a real pain to engage with – so I am looking forward to getting my favorite pedals back.

No comments:

Post a Comment